8.16.2006

Free will


Blame it on the badger, but here's some more on free will:
People who claim we have free will describe it as the ability to "do otherwise." This can mean a variety of things. For instance, Sartre focuses on attitude; another approach would be to simply look at the possibility of choices based on facts about the world, e.g., I had oatmeal for breakfast this morning but I could have had eggs and toast (because there were eggs in the refrigerator, we had bread, the power was on, etc.)
The people who claim we have free will ask for more: I could have done otherwise in precisely the same circumstances. What is typically meant by this is not merely what's in my refrigerator, but in terms of my mentals state, i.e., my wants and desires. Now, why in the world would I even want the possibility of going into my kitchen, desire oatmeal for breakfast, see that it is available, and still have eggs and toast?
This concludes the critique of free will. I'll have to save the positive portion for another day.

No comments: