11.14.2014

{Insert Better Blog Post Title Here}


I'm writing the message for an upcoming memorial service - not for a particular individual, but for a group of people who are unconnected except that they were cared for by our hospice. That makes it difficult to focus: they (probably) don't want a sermon, but I need to try to say something meaningful.


I found this quote, while looking for another (which has eluded me, and I've spent way too long looking for it already), attributed to the German philosopher Martin Heidegger: 

“What was Aristotle’s life?’ Well, the answer lay in a single sentence: ‘He was born, he thought, he died.’ And all the rest is pure anecdote.”

Regardless of whether he said it or not, it captures some of what I want to say, in an inverse form: what we really care about is the anecdotal aspect. We are our stories, and that's what needs to be told. That said, I doubt I'll use the quote for the memorial service, so I thought I'd leave it here instead. 

No comments: