9.17.2006

Notes



This has become something of a running joke: where do all these cartoons come from, anyway?

I was waiting on the Holy Spirit this morning, but the only thing that came was Bob Dylan. That happens sometimes:

The rainman gave me two cures, and he said, jump right in
One was Texas medicine, and the other was railroad gin
But like a fool I mixed them, and it strangled up my mind
Now people just get uglier, and I have no sense of time...




I've been reading Ecclesiastes--yesterday and again this morning--and so I've been wrestling with the "Nevertheless!" aspect of that text, which I find appealing in Nietzsche but disconcerting in the Bible. Meaningless vapors, futilities and vanities, nonsense and smoke:

Everything as to all; one occurrence for the righteous and for the wicked, for the good, and for the pure, and for the unclean, and for he who sacrifices, and for he who does not sacrifice; like the good, so is the sinner; he who swears is like him who fears an oath.

"Yes, but... "

So, I'm going bowling this afternoon with Julie and some other folks. It could be worse.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I'm curious now about how Nietzsche's use of 'nevertheless' differs from that in Ecclesiastes. Given the accompanying comic, though, I'm assuming that it relates to the Übermensch's habit of wearing suspenders. Perhaps he was a plain man?

Obviously, I need to write a book about this insight, and earn me lots of money.

Mr. Miro said...

His use doesn't differ: do you really want the Bible to sound like Nietzsche? How is that "good news"?
I'm not really sure about Übermenschen and suspenders, but I'm sure it's in the footnotes somewhere. (If you do write a book about this and make lots of money, I want a cut.)