9.23.2006

The Verdict is In: "Obscurely self-referential"

"I am certainly doing everything I can to be hard to understand myself!"
This evening, someone told me that he hadn't posted any comments on my blog lately because it was too obscurely self-referential, and it was just too hard figure out what the heck I was talking about. This is significant, because I assumed that no one was reading at all, so the blog was functioning more or less as an on-line journal, full of nonsense and in-jokes. Not that I won't continue with the nonsense and in-joke, but I promise to make an effort to widen the appeal. Well, somewhat: the cartoons will continue to be the primary focus of the blog, and how wide is their appeal?

At the same time I'm a bit relieved that people are missing what I take to be fairly obvious clues to what's going on in my life. And that statement will remain obscure: it's probably not worth either me going back and clarifying (or deleting)--or you, dear reader, going back and puzzling over that which I have chosen to publish on the web and yet remain hidden. As Nietzsche wrote, "To talk about oneself a great deal can also be a means of concealing oneself."
In case you're wondering, the opening quote is also from Nietzsche, both taken from Beyond Good and Evil.

FYI: The Napkin Artist and I will be providing music for this thing on Monday morning at 11:15. We're expecting to play for the majority of the allotted time, and we'd love to see you there.

2 comments:

BrianY said...

Well, since I was the one complaining, I guess I'd better start commenting... FWIW, I don't think I said it was too hard to figure your posts out, did I? I think what I meant to say was that generally can't get up the energy to respond when I don't get something. Maybe that amounts to the same thing. I probably did use the term "self-referential".

Anyway, thanks for making an effort to be less obscure.

Sorry I missed the worship gig this morning. I didn't make as much progress on things this weekend as I thought I would.

Mr. Miro said...

Brian, your comment was a call to mindfulness: thank you.
The gig was truncated due to some scheduling problems, so we only played three songs (instead of ten or so). Still, it was good. We'll be playing again tomorrow (Thurs, 9/28) if you're around.