10.02.2009

Voice in the wilderness


Well, not so much the wilderness as the rapidly developing shores of Smith Mountain Lake--and I'm not there, but was there earlier today painting a dock. Some people have too much money, but for the time being I'm happy to take just a little bit of it in order to make them happy. Correction: sate their need to keep up with the Joneses. Their anxiety is reduced, temporarily, but spending money doesn't make them happy. It almost makes me want to take Paul's advice and go get a PsyD so I could tell them that to their faces while taking even more of their money.

What I really wanted to write today was that I gave another sermon at Eldorado a couple weeks ago, but probably won't post it. It wasn't one of my best, and I'm not sure that even my best sermons are necessarily worth posting (although I'm willing to post because I don't think anyone would plagiarize me). The thing that struck me, though, was that they missed the point of the sermon, which was about being obedient to God--maybe not the best topic for Unitarian Universalists. But the story I used was 1 Samuel 15, and they were too distracted by God's ordering Saul to commit genocide against the Amalekites.

Maybe I should have used Genesis 22 instead.

No comments: