5.01.2006

Leaving


There are times when people do things you don't understand, and they don't seem to understand the impact they're having on you. Or they don't care.
There are some things--such as being able to use a cash drawer at a desk with a limited number of drawers--that you'd think were obvious. There's an agreement, sometimes implicit and sometimes explicit, with regard to behavior that can be expected, and we make plans according to those expectations.

Now, a lot of my friends say that "expectations are pre-planned resentments." Fair enough: the less I expect of you, the less chance I have of being irritated. But if you simply announce that you're going to Washington with no warning or sense that your plans can be changed, I can't help but take it personally. Now I've got to rearrange my life around you.
Have fun in Washington.

No comments: