11.14.2006

Work needs to get done...

And it doesn't seem to be getting done today.

Part of that is simply focus problems: I'm sitting in the piazza San Marco, having a cup of coffee in the late morning with Friedrich Nietzsche, trying to figure out... well, what I'm going to do next. The book contract is not simply for a book I have written, although I have done a lot of work on it. The problem is, I did that work seven years ago and haven't really looked at it since. Even the parts that I consider polished and well written need to be brought up to date; at the very least, I need to do a literature review to see if there's anything out there I need to incorporate.
And the chapters that I already know need work...

and I really want to do that work, which is precisely the problem I'm having this afternoon, because it's not the most urgent work to be done.
I need to be reading about St. Scholastica and Hrotsvit of Gandersheim, as well as Kathryn Tanner's Jesus, Humanity and the Trinity, which I don't particularly like.
And despite my threat to "not-so-casually mention the book in any and all of your conversations," I doubt that Nietzsche would be welcome in the above discussions.

No comments: