2.19.2007

Who sits on your shoulders?


Why does the popular depiction of a person wrestling with a decision place a devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other? Close observation reveals that the decision is rarely one between the "right thing" and the "wrong thing." More often, Icarus tempts one to fly to the sun, while a moth notes that a candle will accomplish the same goal. Or an ostrich and a penguin argue about the true nature of wings.


Or, among many men today, Pinocchio and Peter Pan debate the pros and cons of maturity.





The sun is shining again; I like blue skies in winter. I didn't see much of that growing up.

4 comments:

Julie said...

My favorite thing about sunny skies in the winter is watching the snow sparkle.

Mr. Miro said...

I seem to have jinxed it, though: we're back to the monotonous overcast skies of my youth.
(sigh)

Julie said...

"Hey Look, I Have A Blog That Controls The Weather!"

It's beautiful and sunny again today, though, so all's forgiven.

Mr. Miro said...

Now you jinxed it. I think we should stop blogging about the weather and move on to important things, like shoes.