3.15.2006

Ted, Dan, and the tiny robots

This blog has its roots in the song, "Tiny Robots," which has been the subject of some controversy of late which need not concern us here at this time. However, I feel that the song itself requires explanation, and this seems an appropriate place to do so.
Ted Peters is a Lutheran theologian who has written a number of books, including Playing God? (Notice that I have not included the near-obligatory link to Amazon). In that book, particularly chapter two, Ted discusses the issue of free will. I will not question Lutheran dogma, but Ted's account really doesn't make any sense; "Tiny Robots" is a quick stab at the more obvious flaws.
Daniel Dennett, on the other hand, is a philosopher at Tufts, whose book Freedom Evolves provided the specific inspiration. While Dennett can be arrogant (especially when he's talking about the "brights"), he's been dealing with the issue of free will for quite a while now, and has a good handle on what has been written and how most of the arguments are fundamentally mistaken.
I can post more if people are interested, but quite frankly I'm more interested in the cartoons.
In the interest of fairness, I've provided links to the homepages of each to the right; I've even put Ted's first.

No comments: