3.20.2013

Take It Easy


Yesterday was a day of awkwardness.

On a normal day, I think the most awkward part of my day would have been sitting at the movies with a group of friends in the middle of the afternoon, crying and crying. The movie was “Life of Pi,” and I thought it was very good – it matched, more or less, my (admittedly dim) memory of the book (which I also liked). I was particularly struck with the relatively early scene where the ocean turns to glass; that matched the book of my memory, and was really powerful for me. I may have cried then. But I know I cried through the violence, I cried through the panic. I cried whenever they showed the moon. Mostly I cried at that sense of utter abandonment by God that is so central to the movie.

So how was that not the most awkward part of my day? (Awkward, by the way, is different from being bad; it’s part of being vulnerable, allowing ourselves to be seen. We are all broken people, and we need each other in our brokenness.)

Memory is a funny thing. My memory of reading Life of Pi puts me in Roanoke, Virginia, up in the attic that I had completely remodeled by myself (complete with built-in bookshelves and a nice little reading nook). I had made a place, put down some roots, felt at home for the first time in a long time. That seems like a lifetime ago.

Anyhow, “don’t let the sound of your own wheels make you crazy” sounds like good advice right now.

No comments: