4.12.2013

Second thoughts on the coroner’s report


In my last post, I wondered about the single image as a summation of a relationship – and I have two further thoughts. More than two, really, but at least two.

Does the image have to be negative? Maybe not, maybe focusing on the negative is part of my problem. What if I simply declare that the abiding image isn’t the abrupt departure, but instead: hiking at dusk around the lake, listening to the whippoorwills? I’d never heard a whippoorwill before, but it was immediately obvious what it was. That’s a nice image, one that obliquely reveals what was good about that relationship (at some point I may have to write out that story, but not now).

What about flying a kite on the beach – not just any kite, but the box kite I had made by hand for you? That starts to get at the paradox of this exercise: the images of hope are filled with more sadness – because it’s ultimately hope unfulfilled – than the actual disappointments I wrote about before. I still have the pictures of that first day, the kite getting smaller and smaller as you let out the line, eventually fully extended, that kite soaring above all the others, holding up in the stiff breeze off the ocean. Why are so many of my later memories, in the different cities in which we lived, individual rather than shared: things I did by myself, or with friends of ours, but almost never with you? Of course there are shared experiences - you telling me about your catered lunch, in detail, because you know I like Chinese food, but me absentmindedly singing over the top of your description because I had stopped listening and really couldn’t care less? Do you remember what song I was singing? But the burden here shifted, something that was my fault; or maybe even simply revealing of the space that had grown between us. In any case, I’m back to a negative summation. The positive images all seem to be early in the relationship, not late.

Other images offer different problems: repeated across relationships, perhaps as an attempt to regain what was appealing about that first one. The uniqueness fades, and little is left of that first image. Or maybe they’re elusive, hidden in a haze of alcohol. How is it that I remember so little of the specifics of the relationship to which all others are compared?

Maybe they’re embarrassing - “NSFW”- and yet in that fact reveal the essential nature of the relationship: but I’m not writing erotica, after all. That I can’t write anything I’d want my kids to read shows why it was doomed, based on something ephemeral, not really the basis for a relationship at all.

Does the positive image come from the uniqueness, or from the repetition? Maybe it depends on the person. Playing gin rummy every night – seriously, we wore out a pack of “uncoated” cards – served as a kind of anchor in an otherwise chaotic relationship. But standing in the parking lot of the Japanese Gardens, one August afternoon (and that’s a story I will tell again, one day) - really does capture a lot of what I like about you. And the paradox reemerges: that makes me profoundly sad, in a way that so-called “sad” images don’t.

That question, repetition or uniqueness, leads to a second question: does the relationship need to be over in order to provide an image, or can there be an abiding image that serves as a lived ideal? And if so, does it come from a single moment that captures, not the attraction, but the bonding? Or the patterns that emerge out of time spent together, forging a common experience? In either case, I would suggest that the image, whether of a pattern or an ideal, needs to be something shared if the relationship is ongoing. That is, if the relationship is over, I can shape my own narrative to fit my needs. You profoundly misunderstood me, I never trusted you, you never trusted me, I realized that I didn’t really like you that much. But if it’s ongoing, those images are part of the narrative that two people are (maybe not consciously) building together. You and I tell the same story: this is who we are.

On a different – but not unrelated – issue: I’ve been accused of not seeing people as they present themselves, but instead constructing theories in my head. Well, yes. I live in my head, and have trouble translating that to action, and sometimes am so caught up in my own theory that I miss really obvious things in my environment. (I remember a friend – way back when I was still an undergraduate – saying, “Your students will worry about you as you get older, profoundly absentminded, oh, poor professor is really losing it – and I’ll know, nope, he’s always been like that.”) But my theories allow me to see things that others miss: I ask, “when did your dad’s mother die?” And your answer revealed the solution to the long-standing enigma: he’s a jerk because emotionally he’s stuck right there, never got past being an abandoned teenager. And that’s a powerful insight that no one else ever seemed to recognize. My theories aren’t always wrong.

So here’s my question for you: where am I stuck, and why am I stuck there? My brain, the size of a planet, doesn’t seem to be able to turn that telescope around in this instance.

Sorry, no cartoon today!

No comments: