4.07.2006

Pomp and circumstance

I did not go to "Central High," or anywhere with such a lackluster name. But graduation ceremonies of all sorts have always seemed rather pointless. Part of me continues to resist ceremonies of all sorts: they never quite seem to accomplish what they're supposed to accomplish. That is, they may memorialize (and make memorable) a certain day that would otherwise fade into the dim reaches of memory, but in the ceremony itself can never effect the sort of transformation that is implied. I realize that graduation is supposed to mark the transformation rather than cause it, but really it just means that you either get to stop taking classes--not a bad thing--or else that you get to start taking classes somewhere else--also, not necessarily a bad thing.
I don't think I'm done with this train of thought, but I may be out of steam for the moment.

No comments: