10.16.2006

Another week begins


I had a colleague at USC named Hu who really liked Leibniz and his "windowless monads." Looking back on it, I wonder if he was shocked by the insularity of American society from the world, and the insularity of Americans from one another. He's now listed as a "Computer company manager, San Jose CA" on the department's web site (and in looking him up I found my name listed incorrectly). I, on the other hand, am not a fan: I once put myself to sleep while lecturing about Leibniz. (Well, almost.)
Facts to help the loyal reader understand: Leibniz coined the word "theodicy."
I struggle with the question of theodicy quite a bit, but I refuse to struggle any longer with Leibniz.

1 comment:

Mr. Miro said...

Maybe not healthy, but I don't really expect that from you. Since Leibniz wrote on the "best of all possible worlds," he has a fairly different take on the existence of evil in the world. In any case, God is all good. According to Leibniz.