10.29.2006

Reset your clocks!


I haven't had one of these in over five years... but I was sitting on the couch late last night, reading and thinking I ought to go to bed, when I heard some people walking by outside. I can't say why that acted as a trigger: I suppose if it was a rational response it would fit into different category ("rational response to perceived threat," so something like that), and wouldn't be called a "panic attack." In any case, I was wide awake for a few more hours after that. Nothing like going to the Post Office to check your mail past midnight on a Saturday, and then folding laundry after flipping through the catalogs. (Speaking of which, few things are scarier, in this time before Halloween, than finding Santa Claus in my mailbox. Is it because, like trying to buy Halloween candy early, they know the average consumer's anxiety will prompt more and unnecessary buying?) Luckily, reading about the misfortunes of others helped calm me down, and I was eventually able to go to sleep.
As chance would have it, last night was the end of Daylight Savings Time, so I got an hour of sleep back. It's never enough, but I guess it'll have to do.

No comments: